Cacao Ceremony: Rescuing an Ancestral Mayan Tradition
Cacao was cultivated by Mayas more than 2,500 years ago and it was called “Ku-Ku”. Ku in Mayan Language means Sacred and Ku-Ku “above sacred”. Aztecs learned from Mayas how to cultivate and prepare it, they called Cacao “Cacahuatl” and the bitter drink that they obtained from his fruits “Xocolatl”. This drink was consumed just by Emperor and Nobility and is called Kakaw in Mayan Language that means “Drink of the Gods”.
We prepare Cacao through a Special Ancestral Mayan Recipe.
We work on the Seeds for 7 days, we peel seeds one by one (we need approximately 7 hours and 6 hands to peel Cacao for 20 people), everything is completely hand made. With the process that we follow we transform Cacao into medicinal and ceremonial Cacao, that has up to 90% more properties than Chocolate you will find at the Store.
While we prepare Cacao we need to be relaxed, to send Good Thoughts to the Seeds and to sing some native Songs that will potentialize his properties.
According to Mayan Elders and Archeologists, Spirit of Cacao is one of the most powerful Deities of Mayan Cosmology. With the Spirit of Cacao we can travel towards our Inner self where our Wisdom and Love live. This ceremony is oriented to reconnect with Beauty, Sweetness and Love in ourselves.
During Ceremony, we will explain how natural Cacao is disappearing leaving space to industrial Cocoa, that most of the time is the only kind of Cacao that people know. Kakaw prepared with this Ancestral Mayan Recepy is a Medicine for us.
Medicinal Cacao is useful for many things but first of all to avoid Depression and Sadness - when you drink Kakao you will be happy and thankful for Life.
Mexican Shamans (Medicine Women/Men of Wisdom), cure mental, emotional and physical illnesses during ceremonies that last all night long, up to 15 hours; they use different medicine plants, songs and music during the process in order to cure their patients.
Our Cacao ceremony is a 2 hours experience that will give you an idea of what a Native Healing Ceremony will look like and feel on a smallest scale.
Ceremony is accompanied by ancestral prehispanic instruments (all made of Natural Elements, we play them without electricity and live) and medicine Songs (these songs talk about the 4 Elements in Nature and the Raising of Consciousness and will actívate more the Effect of Cacao: you will feel happy and relaxed).
Cacao contains endorphinic substances that will give you an immediate pleasurable reaction:
- Theobramine: which produces beta-endorphines. These hormones are directly responsible for the feelings of calm , relaxation and happiness;
- Tryptophan: produces serotonin (linked to emotional ecstasy);
- Phenylethylamine: stimulates the pleasure centers;
- Anandamine: Neurotransmitter that maintain the above effects for longer.
Cacao stimulates our Pituitary gland, that is located in our sphenoid bone in our Brain; it is the principal gland of the body, as it rules many activities of the Endocrine Glands, which secrete substances called hormones that regulate body functions. Pituitary gland will be stimulated due to high content of Theobramine that contains Ceremonial and Medicinal Cacao.
WHAT HAPPEN IN MY BODY WHEN I DRINK MEDICINAL CACAO?
1) Serotonin: Cacao consumption induces the production in the brain of a substance called tryptophan linked to serotonin. This hormone is directly responsible to create sensations of tranquility and happiness.
2) Magnesium: Cacao is rich in magnesium. The lack of this mineral has been linked by experts with the symptoms of pre-menstrual syndrome. Therefore, many women say the "chocolate" helps improve your mood, especially in the pre-menstrual period or when they are depressed.
3) Theobramine: Cacao contains theobramine, an alkaloid which has direct effects on the body. In particular, it acts as a diuretic and stimulates the renal system. It has a stimulating effect of the central nervous system.
4) Carbohydrates and fats: Cacao contains fats that cause after eating a pleasurable sensation of satiety. Carbohydrates in Cacao start various chemical processes after the amount of oxygen reaching the brain increases, which results in greater mental fluency.
5) Anandamide: Cacao contains a chemical compound called anandamide that activates certain brain receptors. Therefore, scientists concluded that Cacao made in larger quantities induces a pleasant wellness feeling. Ceremonial Cacao contains at least 90% of these substances than Cocoa you will buy in stores.
6) Polyphenols: Cacao contains natural antioxidants, phenolic compounds, suitable mainly for protection against heart disease. Usually present in plant foods, polyphenols also help prevent degenerative diseases, aging and even cancer cells. In a cup of Cacao you can find up to 100 mg of polyphenol antioxidants.
In some special Ceremonies we use as well White cacao that is really difficult to find; as a preparation to the Wedding Bride & Groom share the two kinds of Cacao (White and Chocolate) as the feminine and masculine Energy bonding. This Ceremony can be held with all the family or just with Bride & Groom.
Did you know?
In Spirituality Riviera Maya Logo there is a Cacao Bean, inside the Flower of Life. (The Flower of Life is the modern name given to a geometrical figure composed of multiple evenly-spaced, overlapping circles, that are arranged so that they form a flower-like pattern. It is considered by some to be a symbol of sacred geometry, said to contain ancient, religious value depicting the fundamental forms of space and time. In this sense, it is a visual expression of the connections life weaves through all sentient beings, believed to contain a type of Akashic Record of basic information of all living things).